1. In Fishy Enterprises, there are no frequent meetings, no suggestion or complaint box hence there is lack of transparency in business operations. It leads to barrier to effective communication. Identify the barrier, along with its category.
(a) Organizational facilities, Organisational barrier
(b) nclariﬁed assumptions, Semantic barrier
(c) Organizational policy, Organisational barrier
(d) No barrier present in the given example
Ans: (a) Organizational facilities, Organisational barrier
2. Lakshmi kumaran and Sridharan, is a legal company, has announced senior level promotions in the ﬁrm. A total of 7 lawyers have been elevated as partners. Which element of management function is highlighted in above case.
(a) Directing (b) Motivation
(c) Leadership (d) Career planning and promotion
Ans: (b) Motivation
3. Deriving conclusions before completion of message indicates:
(a) Premature evaluation (b) Distrust
(c) Lack of attention (d) Technical jargon
Ans: (a) Premature evaluation
4. ‘Channel’ in communication is
(a) The way or medium by which a message travels
(b) The linking process between sender and receiver
(c) A functional state of communication
(d) None of the above
Ans: (a) The way or medium by which a message travels
5. Which of the following is not true about the grapevine?
(a) It is faster at conveying information.
(b) It is found in almost all organization
(c) Managers usually welcome its existence
(d) Sometimes it is more reliable
Ans: (c) Managers usually welcome its existence
6. Which one of the following do not constitute the semantic barriers under business communication?
(b) Use of symbols and gestures
(c) Language barriers
(d) Use of words with similar sounds but different meanings
Ans: (a) Distance
7. Arrange the following steps in process of motivation in a proper order.
(a) Drives (b) Reduction in tension
(c) Search behaviour (d) Unsatisﬁed need
e) Satisﬁed need (f) Tension Choose the correct option:
(a) D, F, A, C, E, B (b) D, F, A, E, C, B
(c) D, C, F, A, E, B (d) D, A, F, C, E, B
7. (a) D, F, A, C, E, B
8. Select the most appropriate judgment about Maslow’s theory of need hierarchy
that was published in the year 1943.
(a) It is no longer useful for modern managers as it is outdated.
(b) It is useful for managers as it helps in motivating the employees.
(c) It is useful for ensuring effective communication in an organization.
(d) There is no link of this theory with motivation of employees.
Ans: (b) It is useful for managers as it helps in motivating the employees.
9. ‘A good leader should have good communication skills’ and ‘Communication
establishes effective leadership’. These two statements can be reconciled as:
(a) Leadership is all about communication, i.e. giving speeches.
(b) Good communication skills are the only requirement of an effective leader.
(c) A good leader is always a good communicator and vice versa.
(d) All functions are inter-linked and inter-dependent.
Ans: (d) All functions are inter-linked and inter-dependent.
10. Karuna, a manager was facing the problem of customer complaints due to delayed delivery. Due to heavy rains, a day had to be declared off. In order to compensate for the lost day, she calls her staff on a Sunday. This has led to discontentment among employees and there was high absenteeism on that day. Which function of management should have been performed better by her to handle the situation?
(a) Controlling (b) Directing
(c) Organising (d) None of the above
Ans: (b) Directing
11. Absence of social and cultural gatherings and lack of transparency in operations of an organization pose barrier to effective communication. Identify the barrier.
(a) Organizational facilities (b) Lack of proper incentives
(c) Unclariﬁed assumptions (d) Rules and regulations
Ans: (a) Organizational facilities
12. Match the example of need in column 1 with type of need in column 2 as per Maslow’s need hierarchy theory of motivation.
Column 1 Column 2
1. Hunger (A) Safety/security needs
2. Friendship (B) Afﬁliation/belonging needs
3. Personal fulﬁllment (C) Esteem needs
4. Stability of income (D) Self actualization needs
5. Status (E) Basic physiological needs
Select from the options given below
(a) 1-E; 2-C ; 3-A; 4-E; 5-E (b) 1-E; 2-B; 3-A; 4-C; 5-D
(c) 1-E; 2-B; 3-D; 4-A; 5-C (d) 1-E; 2-B; 3-D; 4-C; 5-A
Ans: (c) 1-E; 2-B; 3-D; 4-A; 5-C
13. ‘Unclariﬁed Assumption’ is which type of communication barrier?
(a)Psychological barrier (b) Semantic barrier
(c) Organizational barrier (d) Personal barrier
Ans: (b) Semantic barrier
14. “One of the incentives is concerned with jobs that include greater variety of work content and require higher level of knowledge.” Indentify the incentive highlighted in the given statement.
(a) Job enrichment
(b) Career advancement opportunity
(c) Job security
(d) Employee recognition programme
Ans: (a) Job enrichment
15. The following table contains two columns on the elements of directing and main purposes thereof. You are required to indicate the best alternative combination of the element and main purpose.
Elements of directing Main purpose
A. Supervision (i) Instructing, feedback
B. Motivation (ii) Influencing behaviour
C. Leadership (iii) Fulﬁllment of needs
D. Communication (iv) Overseeing performance
Select from the options given below:
(a) A-(iv); B-(iii); C-(ii); D-(i) (b) A-(i); B-(ii); C-(iv); D-(iii)
(c) A-(iii); B-(ii); C-(iv); D-(i) (d) A-(iii); B-(iv); C-(ii); D-(i)
Ans: (a) A-(iv); B-(iii); C-(ii); D-(i)
16. Grapevine refers to:
(a) Information resulting from social interaction.
(b) Transmission of rumours.
(c) Path through which members of a formal group communicate.
(d) The term not relating to communication.
Ans: (a) Information resulting from social interaction.
17. Which type of leadership style is best suited to a situation, where the leader wishes to give his subordinates complete freedom to take decision?
(a) Democratic (b) Autocratic
(c) Laissez Faire (d) Participative
Ans: (c) Laissez Faire
18. From the options given below, choose the correct order of Maslow’s Hierarchy theory of human needs given in the following table.
Nature of Need Order
Esteem needs 1
Safety and Security Needs 2
Self-actualisation Needs 3
Social Needs 4
Basic Physiological Needs 5
Choose from the following options:
(a) A-4, B-5, C-3, D-2, E-1 (b) A-5, B-1, C-2, D-4, E-3
(c) A-4, B-2, C-5, D-3, E-1 (d) A-1, B-2, C-3, D-4, E-5
Ans: (c) A-4, B-2, C-5, D-3, E-1
19. Which of the following is a Semantic Barrier of communication?
(a) Lack of Attention (b) Premature Evaluation
(c) Organisational Policy (d) Technical jargon
Ans: (d) Technical jargon
20. A supervisor was able to ensure effective and efﬁcient fulﬁlment of his targets even though there were frequent differences of opinion among his workers. Which importance of supervision is highlighted by this statement?
(a) Supervisor acts as a link between workers and management.
(b) Supervisor provides good on the Job training to the workers.
(c) Supervisor Plays a key role in maintaining group unity among workers
placed under his control.
(d) Supervisor ensures best performance at minimum cost.
Ans: (c) Supervisor Plays a key role in maintaining group unity among workers
placed under his control.
21. A manager is not given enough autonomy to do his work. So he feels demotivated. Which of his need is not being fulﬁlled as per Maslow’s need hierarchy?
(a) Self Actualization (b) Afﬁliation/Belonging
(c) Safety/Security (d) Esteem
Ans: (d) Esteem
22. A leader prefers that a decision be taken by the group. Which leader ship style is he/she following:
(a) Autocratic (b) Laissez faire
(c) Democratic (d) Delegative
Ans: (b) Laissez faire
23. Which of the following is NOT the correct way of improving communication effectiveness?
(a) Communicate only for the present
(b) Be a good listener
(c) Convey things of help and value to listeners
(d) Consult others before communicating
Ans: (a) Communicate only for the present