1. ‘He is the pivot around whom revolves the entire production planning, implementation and control.’ So, Taylor concentrated on improving the performance of this role in the factory set up, through one of the techniques of Scientiﬁc Management. Identify ‘He’ in the given case. State the level at which ‘He’ is working.
(a) Worker, Operational Level (b) Production Manager, Middle Level
(c) Foreman, Supervisory Level (d) Chief Operating Ofﬁcer, Top Level
Ans: (c) Foreman, Supervisory Level
2. Match the Principles of Management mentioned below in column I with their related phrase in Column II:
Principle of Management Related phrase
(i) Subordination of individual (a) Obedience to employment agreement
Interest to general interest
(ii) Order (b) Fair Treatment to all employees
(iii) Equity (c) Interest of organisation to supersede
the interest of the stake holders
(iv) Discipline (d) People and material to be at appropriate
Choose the correct option:
(a) (i)-(c) (ii)-(d) (iii)-(b) (iv)-(a)
(b) (i)-(d) (ii)-(c) (iii)-(a) (iv)-(b)
(c) (i)-(c) (ii)-(b) (iii)-(d) (iv)-(a)
(d) (i)-(a) (ii)-(c) (iii)-(a) (iv)-(d)
Ans: (a) (i)-(c) (ii)-(d) (iii)-(b) (iv)-(a)
3. Which of the following statements is correct related to Principles of Authority
and Responsibility ?
(i) Authority and Responsibility must be equal
(ii) One who has the highest authority need not assume responsibility
(iii) Authority is corollary of Responsibility.
(iv) Authority is always formal.
Choose the Correct option:
(a) All are correct. (b) (i), (ii) and (iii) are correct.
(c) (i) and (ii) are only correct. (d) Only (i) is correct.
Ans: (d) Only (i) is correct.
4. The formal channel that deﬁnes the lines of authority and accountability in a hierarchical organizational structure is called:
(a) Chain of command (b) Division of work
(c) Unity of command (d) Gang Plank
Ans: (a) Chain of command
5. Gang boss
(a) Compiles cost of production (b) Issues instructions
(c) Sets up tools and machines for work (d) Checks quality of work
Ans: (c) Sets up tools and machines for work
6. “Change in attitude of workers and management towards one another from competition to cooperation.” Identify the concept highlighted in the above statement.
(a) Mental Revolution (b) Cooperation, not individualism
(c) Harmony, not discord (d) Espirit de corps
Ans: (a) Mental Revolution
7. The organization structure lays down the speciﬁc path or route for ﬂow of communication. Which Principle of Management is highlighted here?
(a) Division of work (b) Unity of direction
(c) Scalar chain (d) Authority and Responsibility
Ans: (c) Scalar chain
8. An organization structure is effective if it enables individuals to contribute to the objectives of the enterprise. This is known as:
(a) Scalar chain (b) Unity of command
(c) Unity of direction (d) Fair remuneration
Ans: (c) Unity of direction
9 An employee directly contacts the CEO of the company with a complaint regarding working conditions in the factory. Which of the following principles is being violated here?
(a) Unity of Command (b) Unity of Direction
(c) Scalar Chain (d) Discipline
Ans: (c) Scalar Chain
10. Same battery can be used in different mobile phones of a particular brand. This is an example of which of the following techniques of scientiﬁc management?
(a) Standardization (b) Simpliﬁcation
(c) Method Study (d) Functional Foremanship
Ans: (a) Standardization
11. Which principle of management emphasizes on study and analysis of methods
rather than estimation?
(a) Method study (b) Science, not rule of thumb
(c) Standardization of work (d) Maximum, not restricted output
Ans: (b) Science, not rule of thumb
12. A production manager set a target to manufacture 1,000 Denim Jeans in 2 months and accordingly divided the work among 10 employees. One of the workers fell ill and took medical leave for a month. The production manager divided his work among other workers in order to achieve the target on time. The workers cooperated for achievement of targets.
Which principle of management is highlighted here?
(a) Unity of command (b) Scalar chain
(c) Order (d) Esprit de corps
Ans: (d) Esprit de corps
13. Which of the following statements best describes ‘mental revolution’?
(a) Change of values (b) Change of pay scales
(c) Change of attitude (d) Change of work culture
Ans: (c) Change of attitude
14. Shelly and Shayna are managers working at middle level in Shanno Enterprises. Shelly wishes that new employees should be hired in place of old ones in order to ensure adaptability to environment and have new talent in the organization. Shayna does not agree to this, she feels that the employees should be given some economic security to motivate them. In view of this, select the most appropriate conclusion:
(a) Shelly is right as management is a dynamic function.
(b) Shayna is right as she is following the principle of stability of personnel.
(c) Both Shelly and Shayna are wrong.
(d) Both Shelly and Shayna are right.
Ans: (b) Shayna is right as she is following the principle of stability of personnel.
15. Which of the following technique of Taylor is an extension of Fayol’s principles of Division of Labour but in contrast to his principle of Unity of Command?
(a) Mental Revolution (b) Scientiﬁc work Studies
(c) Functional Foremanship (d) Standardization
Ans: (c) Functional Foremanship
16. The Fayol’s principle “ORDER” relates to
1. Command by a superior to his subordinates
2. Things to be kept at the proper place after use
3. The employees should be available on their respective places Choose the
(a) 1,2 and 3 (b) 2 and 3
(c) Only 1 (d) l and 3
Ans: (a) 1,2 and 3
17. One of the techniques of Taylor states that the efﬁcient employees should be rewarded for their hard work as they contribute to increase the production. Chose the correct technique.
(a) Simpliﬁcation (b) Functional Foremanship
(c) Motion study (d) Differential piece wage system
17. (d) Differential piece wage system
18. Which of the following is not a principle of management given by Taylor?
(a) Science, not rule of thumb
(b) Functional foremanship
(c) Cooperation, not individualism
(d) Harmony, not discord
Ans: (b) Functional foremanship
19. Management should ﬁnd one best way to perform a task. Which technique of scientiﬁc management is shown here?
(a) Time study (b) Motion study
(c) Method study (d) Fatigue study
Ans: (c) Method study